Friday, November 2, 2007

All's Quiet On The-- COUGH.HACK.WEEZE!

This time right now - early afternoon on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays - is my "me time." The oldest is at preschool; the youngest is napping. And I'm at the computer with my requisite Starbucks, doing my own thing, sans interruptions. Aahhh, 'tis the life.

But wait! What's that achiness I feel? Why is my head stuffy and light? Why am I continually wracked by hacking spells? Oh no. I think, folks, the flu has hit.

Our family of four has been sniffling and coughing with each other for a few weeks now (because like any good relative, we share...). My littlest has had the roughest go of it; poor Sweetcheeks'* congestion just won't clear up. My husband, who rarely lets anything knock him down, spent a couple of days taking it easy last week. Fortunately, the ickiest of the ickies seem to have by-passed my oldest, for the most part, but this is my second go 'round. Doesn't the ol' influenza know the rule? Not da Mama!

Granted, I'm not feeling the worst of the worse. I'm still able to function, but I'm worried about tonights plans. Some friends of mine are getting together for a friendly dinner... but what I secretly think is that they're intending to celebrate my birthday (tomorrow's the big day). Please, don't tell anyone. I'd die of embarrassment if A)they found out I suspected something was up or, even worse, B)I've imagined it all in an overly-grandiose way and it truly is just a normal get-together... *blushes wildly* But what fun will it be, either way, if I'm feeling like a bus ran me over and left me in the ditch?

I guess I'll just load up on my Walgreen's Severe Cold pills, and take 'er as she comes. I think I have to go tonight, regardless of whether a birthday celebration ensues. If it just happens to be true, though, I'll eat a piece of cake for you...

*Not her given name.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Janna, I hope you get to feelin' better! It sucks to be sick on your Birthday or Christmas...I know, I was sick on BOTH of those last year!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Teige Benson said...

Oh - let's hope it's a party for you (and Happy Birthday!)

Sure hope you feel better, regardless. Having the flu sucks.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Indeed. Thanks, guys!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I feel the sickness creeping in. Jayden has had a bad cough and I feel it knocking on my door also. GRRRR.... I have trying to get some extra rest (ha ha yeah right) and drinking some OJ, we will see if this helps. I hope everyones gets to feeling better around your house. Have a great birthday. Love ya! Heather

Janna Leadbetter said...

Thanks, Heather. :)