Monday, July 28, 2008

Why Do You Write?

Something draws each of us to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard), regardless of the outcome. What's your driving force? Where does it come from?

For me, writing is more than the potential it holds. Yes, it is exciting that I could one day look back and see I've made a name for myself, but that's not why I write. I write because I love the process of finding the right words.

Sitting down with an idea, with a few snippets of text floating around in my head, is awesome. Watching it evolve, coming upon the perfect word or phrase and fitting it all together, is incredible.

What about you?

6 comments:

Joanne said...

Janna, this is actually a difficult question, the answer not as apparent as I would think! What it finally comes down to is happiness. Without the writing, I'd miss a certain element of expression and art that is so satisfying to my days.

colbymarshall said...

Hm, that's a question I'm not sure I know the answer to. I guess the best (cliche) answer I have is that there is a story in my head to tell.

Janna Leadbetter said...

I know what you both mean. It took a long time for me to realize what it is about writing that I like so much. And, of course, there are more reasons, like the ones you each mentioned.

Thanks for sharing!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

I see this question all over the place and always avoid answering it. Writing is something I've always enjoyed.

As a teenager, positive reinforcement from my friends gave me confidence and told me I wasn't half bad. As an adult, a compliment from my mother over a silly letter I'd written into a paper got my wheels turning again.

I don't "get" the people who say they have to write or a part of them would [insert appropriate dramatic word here]. I enjoy telling stories and it amazes me that they came out of my head.

WendyCinNYC said...

I like writing because it's something I can actually do, and fairly well at that. I love the idea of potentially creating a whole mini-business just from the thoughts in my head.

If I were writing just for myself, I'd stick to short stories and I wouldn't bother sending them out.

Anonymous said...

I have to go with Joanne on this that it's a hard question to answer. I will also agree with Melanie that it's something to do that I'm good at. Interesting post, considering I'm struggling to write and just updated my blog about it.