Thursday, June 30, 2011

Writing on Thursday

It's Not Always Easy
`
Maybe it's not something I should admit to, this fact that I can pull entirely away from my writing.
`
It's just that life happens so heavily at times, and how can I devote myself to fiction when reality is so big and in-my-face significant?
`
It happened that way last year when my dad was diagnosed with stage IV bone cancer. When we were first reeling from the prognosis, and watching through his (short-lived) treatments, and then struggling through the two-month decline before he passed away. Two months, that was all we had him after the doctor told us that day, because he'd already had multiple sclerosis for twenty years, and his body didn't have a chance.
`
photo found at hubpages
Writing did not come easy for me then.
`
Sometimes we hear of those writers who are driven by problems and hurt and they throw themselves into their work, making it richer and deeper and better. I only wish I were that kind of writer.
`
My writing has been suffering again of late, because more big life is happening. In the way life happens, I suppose.
`
...I'll be telling you about it soon, in an upcoming Keep It Real Tuesday post...

8 comments:

Amy Sue Nathan said...

Janna,

When things are bad I can't write at all. I think my muse hides then - it's when I'm steeped in the good stuff or at the very least the status quo that my brain can let loose enough for me to write anything. Life doesn't have to be terrific - but in the throes of ickiness - I don't write. And I know this from a lot of experience.

(((hugs)))

April Plummer said...

Ugh...I hate it when I type out a long comment and lose it thanks go Blogger being a pain!

Anyway, I understand what you're going through. I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with your father, and my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

I understand being in too much pain to write. Though not the same situation, I've had experiences like that. Life is busy enough, and sometimes, even once you're able to make the time to write, your brain can't let go of reality and roam in the freedom of our fiction. I know my heart is too heavy to write when I can't even read - when I pick up a book and reread the same line over and over, and it still doesn't make any sense.

Hang in there...we're all here for you.

*hugs*

Nikole Hahn said...

I'm sorry. It sounds like you are going through pain.

Lord, please lift Janna up and circle her with your wisdom and love, encourage her...In Jesus Name, Amen.

Nikole Hahn said...

I'm sorry. It sounds like you are going through pain.

Lord, please lift Janna up and circle her with your wisdom and love, encourage her...In Jesus Name, Amen.

Deb Shucka said...

I think we all have times when the muse needs a rest, or needs more attention than we have to give her. It's been my experience that she's always really glad to see me when I return.

Sending love, light and prayers your way.

Duane Scott said...

I know how it feels!

Been there.

Linda Hoye said...

Sorry to hear you are in the midst of "big life" Janna.

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I am taking your 'big life' to The One who specializes in big things right now. Praying for wisdom and peace to cover you as you deal with this life.