Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Keep It Real Tuesday

That Thing Inside a Chest

A heart can break so easily.

At least, I know it's true for me. For my heart.

Harsh words, or the absence of kind ones. Disrespect. Not being understood, or appreciated. Seeing others hurt. Losing a connection, or losing a loved one's life.

I feel things with such intensity. It can really be a pain in the --- sometimes, this emotional heft. Sometimes it pulls me so low. It keeps me thinking too long and too deep, and it can seem an impossible thing to pull up and out.

But. But.

There is always a bright side, a good side, a better one. I have learned this lesson.

Because there is positive emotion to grasp hold of, even if it's just beyond immediate reach. Hope and peace. Love, if not just the promise of love.

There is good intention, and an Ultimate Plan.

There are kind words, and there is respect. There are people who understand. There are memories, and new decisions, and there's strength and purpose.

I have learned this lesson.

My heart always comes back around.

12 comments:

Amy Sue Nathan said...

Indeed, my dear friend, indeed.

I remember having dinner with a new friend about 9 years ago...and he was laughing. My first thought? "OMG, that's right, I'm FUNNY!"

I had forgotten.

xoxo

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Here's to the heart coming back around.

I'm a deep feeler, too.
~ Wendy

Linda Hoye said...

Hugs Janna. I am also one of those who feel deeply and, like you, remembering that there is One who has it all in His hands is what helps me the most.

Patti said...

I feel this way right now with a lost connection, but hopefully it will come back around.

Joy said...

Yes, there is always a better side too. I've learned to look for that and I'm all the better for it. It makes life worth living and enjoying.

Melissa Amateis said...

We cannot know joy without knowing pain. :-)

Melissa Sarno said...

Yes, I love this: 'My heart always comes back around' I always think of that saying 'this too shall pass' all the time. It means, to me, that things always have a way of evolving and changing over time.

Liza said...

Thank goodness for the flexibility of our hearts...

Deb Shucka said...

It's the balance, isn't it? A thoughtful, hopeful piece, Janna. Thanks for sharing these feelings.

Jessica Nelson said...

This is so true. It's one of the reasons I rarely read literary works, memoirs or watch sad movies. I can't pull up out of the place they leave me very easily, so I've decided that staying away from those things will NOT make me less compassionate, less humane, or less real. I function better though.

Duane Scott said...

What Wendy said: I feel deep also.

I love this post.

So breathtakingly honest.

Unknown said...

I think most creative people feel very deeply - it is just a trait that goes along with writing and composition. God planned it that way so we could express ourselves:-)