Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Saturday Means...

As this morning dawned, I wondered about what the weekend may bring for others.

For us... Saturday means sleeping in just a bit. We laze around with morning cartoons, and have a big breakfast. And we try to fit some family fun in before my husband leaves for his weekend shift.

This morning, a cool, drizzly day, the four of us loaded up in the golf cart and adventured. We traversed back gravel roads, taking dips and turns for which our daughters, thinking it as fun as a roller coaster, raised their arms with glee. We breathed in the crisp air as we raced our dog, Lucy, who followed on foot.

We found a nearby cemetery and descended upon its grounds, weaving among headstones. We told our girls, delicately, of what the sturdy pieces meant, and ticked off the years of age-crusted marble slabs. And when Emma, our five-year-old, found the headstone for a woman named the same, from the 1800s, her face showed the awe I felt inside.

Setting out on four wheels once again, we came to the hundreds-of-feet tall water tower, and looked at the globe above us. Wondering at its size, we imagined the outcome if the steel structure burst and washed us away.

We took the indirect way home, enjoying the tail-end of our excursion. It ended too soon, but tell me the outing wasn't full of inspiration.

And now I have the remainder of the day stretched ahead of me. With misterwrites gone to work, we girls are left to our own devices. One watches a Barbie movie, the other plays Disney Princesses online, and I consider my options. Shall I work on that still-unfinished column? My deadline is the 22nd... Should I pull up the WIP? Tate, the main character, calls to me in distress over the position in which I last left him... I need to make a decision about Novel 1, and where I go with it next. (I've put querying on hold... I'll post about that soon.) And yesterday, a friend gave me a copy of the book she's begun writing. I'm eager to get feedback to her, so there's that. But then again... I've got a delicious book waiting for me... and a hot bath sounds nice...

What about you? How do your Saturdays play out?

12 comments:

WendyCinNYC said...

Very nice post.

Our Saturdays are a bit more hectic, as they tend to be when kids get into the weekend sports age.

Whenever we can, we slip away to Long Island and hang out at the beach or in the backyard. But often we are in the city. The small one plays AYSO soccer and the larger one has fencing class. She's...ahem...assertive with a sword.

Sometimes we go by the Met or MOMA on a Saturday afternoon. They have programs for kids and they are lots of fun.

Janna Leadbetter said...

That sounds great, Wendy. Quite the bustling New Yorkers you are! ;)

colbymarshall said...

My Saturdays are usually lazy, because we have no chidlren yet, my hubby and I will sometimes stay in our PJs until well after noon, give the dogs a bath, watch movies, things like that. I worked a little on my scrapbook from my vacation this year. It was a nice, relaxing day.

Joshua said...

great post cous, Sat. usually means relaxing, movies, and a 50/50 chance of working :)

Angie Ledbetter said...

Not nearly as relaxed and inspiring as your Saturday, I promise. All those places you visited...won't they make awesome little scenes in your next story, novel, article, whatever? Saturdays are great for fodder-gathering. ;)

JGH said...

This weekend was unusual in that my husband was away on business and my son was at a sleepover, so my daughter and I had some rare one-on-one time. We painted some halloween ceramics and played air hockey.

Wendy, we've been to the Met programs for kids, too - aren't they terrific?

Joanne said...

Saturdays are an open book for us. Writing, yardwork, shopping, relaxing all afternoon with the paper, really whatever strikes us. It's nice having some unstructured time after the week's schedule.

Terri Tiffany said...

Your day sounded wonderful! My husband played golf and I did the shopping! We got invited to Downtown Disney for the evening but opted to stay home instead--that's what happens when you get old!

Janna Leadbetter said...

It sounds like everyone had a good weekend. Here's to more! :)

And thanks to jgh for stopping by my blog with a comment!

Terri Tiffany said...

Yay That you made some writing goals this week!! I'll be praying that you meet them all:)) And wondering when you will tell us about your query again?

Melissa Amateis said...

Your Saturday sounds absolutely lovely.

Saturday is my lazy day - or I try to make it that way. We sleep in, I get up, check my email and the news, then maybe go back to bed and read a book for awhile or get up and clean the house if I haven't done it the previous evening. The kids tend to do whatever - the teenagers will either go off and find their friends, go play basketball, or be slugs and watch t.v. My daughter loves to go outside and play with the dogs, ride her bike, and she'll watch a few cartoons, too.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for shopping, so I'll hit the mall for awhile. But mostly I like to just stay put. I'm on the go all week and I like to have days where I just cozy up at home.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

What a wonderful day. I'm sure the girls love that you spend that kind of time with them.

Funny you mention the water tower because Friday during the drive from Michigan to Chicago my cousin and I wondered if those water towers really hold enough water for the entire community or if they're just for show.