Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tuesday's Stuff and Things #2

I've seen a lot of weekly topics on Blogger (like My Town Monday, in which both Josh and Travis participate) and, though I've never adopted any of them, I'd like to make up my own. Since I posted Stuff and Things last Tuesday, I decided I'd like to do it each week. It's a way to share whatever's congesting my mind, writing-related or not, in one fell swoop. It's okay that I do this, right? There's no Blogger Police who're supposed to pass out licenses for such a thing? Good. I thought so.

Today's stuff and things?

My daughter had to get the last of her immunizations this morning. It was my job--through all FOUR shots--to trap her legs between mine, crush one arm behind me as a vice grip would, and immobilize the other with my weak hand. Her tears were almost unbearable, but the reward of colorful band-aids and Goldfish crackers brightened her world once again.

I'm cheap. I know this because I can smell a clearance rack from aisles away, or spot neon-colored sale tags before I've darkened the doorway of my favorite store. When my eyes shift and dart back-and-forth, making me look as though I'm up to no good? It's simply that I'm afraid I'll miss a good deal, and one must be alert to such things. Always. And I most often refuse to pay full price for anything. Today we visited one of our local discount stores. There I got five new shirts for the school girl, a new shirt for myself, two notebooks and a plate. For $24 and some change. AWESOME. Then I very nearly split my lid when I spent the same amount at another store, on two pairs of leggings and a Koosh ball. NOT AWESOME. See? I'm cheap.

I've been able to expound upon the idea for my non-fiction book. I did some tweaking to my concept, which opened the possibilities for content. To give you a basic, at-its-most-general hint, the topic is motherhood. It will incorporate humor and the voice I use for my motherhood-themed column, with essays and anecdotes, and an extra special something. But that's all I'm giving you now. I've still got some research and brainstorming and compiling to do.

As for Novel 2 (I've decided not to deny myself progress on one book while I work on the other - I'll do both!), it still sits, lonely and with no recent updates. Thus far, the only work I've done has been on my AlphaSmart 3000, Sally, so I plan to transfer the files to word document soon. I'll be able to look at it with fresh perspective, I think, and that will allow me to move forward just a bit.

Still no word of any kind from agents. I'm not growing impatient at all, I just feel like I'm not doing all I can to be proactive. Which is silly, because what else can I do but wait on them? I'm not quite ready to send another batch of queries out, but may revisit that idea in another few weeks. We'll see what happens between now and then.

11 rejections, 13 out

15 comments:

Melanie Hooyenga said...

This is fun! I've thought about doing a weekly thing but nothing's really stuck my fancy.

That's great you're progressing on the non-fiction idea. I can't wait to hear more about it.

As for the bargain shopping, you know where I stand. I almost did a whole post about a bucket I bought a couple days for $6 - marked down from $12. AND it has two attachments. :)

Janna Leadbetter said...

Ooh, my kinda deal!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am a sucker for bargains! I can also relate with the Dr. visit.
FYI- There is a Berenstain Bears book about Dr. visits that also discusses shots.

WendyCinNYC said...

Janna, you need to sharpen your elbows and come with me to a sample sale in NYC. They are usually in some smelly old warehouse and you have to try your clothes on in front a horde of other women (I've seen some famous people nearly buck naked in there.) But sometimes you can find designer clothes for next to nothing.

It's stressful but awesome.

Anonymous said...

We always joke with my mum engraved on her tomb stone will be the words "How much?!" But in my family I'm famous for finding bargains, I could go out with £20 and come home with enough bags to bother a small army. I love bargains.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Drat, Turkey. I'm sure I've seen that one. I wish I'd thought to find it in preparation for today. Although the school nurse only called me yesterday about needing to get Emma's shots updated, so it would have been a tight fit.

You don't know how super fun that sounds to me, Wendy. Now I have TWO reasons to come to NY! :)

Demi, thanks so much for stopping by! And that's the best kind of shopping; when you come home with goodies it takes hours to go through. :D

Joanne said...

Janna, I thought it interesting your non-fic book is related to a column you write. My first thought, which could be a big help, is that you have a platform with which to eventually promote your manuscript/book! They say this is so important in non-fic. Keep us posted ...

Janna Leadbetter said...

Great point, Joanne. Thanks!

Joshua said...

neat, digging this stuff and things blog cuz. And its ok to have the Leadbetter cheapness...or the Leadbetter eye as my dad would say.

colbymarshall said...

I got some (good!) agent news today after a LOT of silence, so maybe they are slowly coming out of hiding...

Janna Leadbetter said...

The Leadbetter Eye. I like it!

Colby! That's great! Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Good idea on non-fic book! And yah to bargains!

Janna Leadbetter said...

Thanks, Kimmi! :D

Anonymous said...

The progress sounds good so far! Just keep at it, even in small increments, and you'll get it hammered out. Don't be discouraged by the queries. Two out is still more than none out.

If you're really into deals, you should check out the CVS deals people pull with their Extra Care Bucks program, combining coupons with sales. It's a little complicated but gets you stuff for practically nothing. moneysavingmom.com is the site if you're interested in learning more.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Sweet! I'll check it out, Aaron. Thanks!