Saturday, December 1, 2007

Business is s...l...o...w...

A couple months ago I finally formed a business I'd been thinking about for awhile. Encouragement from my sister and a comment from an acquaintance made me take the official step and start Something She Wrote. Yep. Not only is it my blog name; it's my business name, too. It's a writing and editing service focused on helping any writer in need.

Though business is slow, my completed projects already include critiques of serious writers' partial and full mss and, for people who don't have writing in their bones, a wedding reception speech (the matron of honor was lost) and a professional bio for a musician's website. And I'm ready to do more!

I've been distributing business cards and affixed sparkly new decals to my mini-van. Word of mouth has its benefits, too, but things aren't taking off as quickly as I might have liked. Really, I think I envision helping businesses and folks who don't normally write. Like the nearby bakery that wants snappy flyers (or a slogan!) created, for instance, or people who need a family history written up for a reunion... I know there's a need for stuff like that.

So, if you've happened by my blog here, check out my website Something She Wrote for more details. And feel free to pass my info along!

5 comments:

Teige Benson said...

Janna, keep plugging away and getting your name out there. Word of mouth is really going to be what throws you out there. Since you have had clients in the past, get them to write you an endorsement and add a testimonial section.

I did the same type of work for 3 years, it can be done (and sucessfully as well). Keep at it and good luck.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Good luck! I have dreams of working as a freelance designer but have no idea where to start.

And, yes, I have a frozen gel mask. I needed the headband to block out the light, but I like your idea to combine the two!

Anonymous said...

Janna, good luck with your business. You might have my novel dropped in your door some morning ;)

Janna Leadbetter said...

Oh, no fair! You can't just drop a comment like that on me, "Anonymous", and not tell me who you are! Psh.

Anonymous said...

Keep at it, Janna. You'll get there!