Friday, November 21, 2008

I've Been Tagged (it's deer season, you know)

Well, I've kind of been tagged. Angie, Blogger's resident Gumbo Writer, answered some interesting questions over on her blog today, and offered the format up for anyone who's game. This is perfect timing for me, because I've always found such exercises great for mental flow.

*brain lurches ... grinds to halt as false start becomes apparent*

So maybe without further ado, here are some (mostly) unknown facts about me. Of course, that's not to say they aren't trivial facts you'll have nothing with which to do. But maybe it'll be fun anyway...

*squirts a little WD-40 on gears*

Five Things I Was Doing 5 Years Ago:
*living in a duplex we loved, but were quickly outgrowing
*raising an almost-one-year-old
*giving thought to when a second baby would be nice
*kicking off my writing career, by completing a children's picture book manuscript (6 rejections, haven't sent out in a long while, have since "moved on") and getting first check ever for publication (in Western New York Family Magazine - Social Motherfly, one of my best pieces, which I can find nowhere, on disk or paper copy...)
*cultivating a new friendship with two women from church, who have become like sisters in the years since

Five Things on My To Do List:
*finish touch-ups around newly painted areas in our home
*urethane trim
*write
*rid self of headache
*Christmas shop

Five Things I Like to Snack on:
*pretzels with mozzarella cheese
*fudgy brownies
*granola bars
*crackers (think Chicken-in-a-Biscuit)
*warm tortillas

Five Things I Would Do If I was a Millionaire:
*give to our church (to then help others)
*put into accounts that will accumulate over the years
*buy my husband a pinball machine
*shop without making a beeline to clearance, perhaps without even looking at the price tags *gasp!*
*fly a group of girlfriends to a house in Maine for a long weekend getaway, sans hubbies and kids

Five Places I Have Lived:
Missouri x 5

Five Jobs I Have Had:
*Geoffrey Giraffe, mascot for Toys R Us, for charity events and store promotions
*server at Paradise Grill
*front desk at the Hilton (I was not meant for hospitality)
*Mental Health Technician (junior counselor) on adolescent psych unit
*Account Executive for a publishing company (I know what you're thinking... but it was a commercial print and yearbook publisher)

Five People I Am Tagging:
My bloggy buddies exceed the number 5 so, like Angie, I'll leave it open to whomever's interested. Have fun!

And have a great weekend!

17 comments:

Jewel Allen said...

Janna, when you get your hubby the pinball machine from all the royalty checks you are getting, I want to play it!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Ooh! This is all very interesting! I may do this as a weekend post. It is amazing how different our lives were five years ago.
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Nice to get to know you a little better. I may do this one too.

Melissa Amateis said...

I love reading these types of meme's. Always fun to learn new things about each other. :-)

Janna Leadbetter said...

Pink - You got it!

Turkey - Why, thank ya. :) Can't wait to see your answers!

Fringegirl - Ditto what I said to Turkey!

Melissa - Maybe you could do it, too!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Glad to meet another "rootbound" friend. And what an interesting array of jobs you've held. Wonder if writerly types tend to have such career variety?

*Go away, bad headache, and leave Janna to her To Do list!* :)

Anonymous said...

Great list, Janna!! I'll have a go at it a bit later!!

Joanne said...

Geoffrey Giraffe, cause you wannna be a Toys 'r' Us kid. Who woulda thought? (And it IS deer season. Sadly, we clipped one driving last weekend, but it seemed okay and ran off!)

Janna Leadbetter said...

Angie - That's a really good question! Maybe I'll pose it in a post here soon.

Kimmi - Thanks! I'll watch for your post.

Joanne - I worked at one of the stores for awhile, too, and that song played every so often over the PA system. I can't tell you how many times I've sung it in my life. :) The deer are pretty docile here (at least around our lake area) and keep back from the roads, but one still has to keep their eyes peeled for them. Thankfully I've never hit one. I hope your car wasn't damaged!

Barb Davis said...

Fun reading!!

Terri Tiffany said...

shop without making a beeline to clearance, perhaps without even looking at the price tags *gasp!*
I bet you still wouldn;t!! I know I wouldn't!

Janna Leadbetter said...

Barbara - I thought the same of yours!

Terri - I bet you're right; I'd have a hard time getting that habit out of my system. Plus, I can never pass up a bargain!

Rachel Burton said...

Fun questions. I love the five ears ago list. Heavens, that was eight addresses and a husband ago for me!

colbymarshall said...

I LOVE knowing that you were Geoffrey! What a cool story :-)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Janna, I cannot believe you were Geoffrey and this is the first time you mentioned it. That seems like something you should've told me when we first discussed creating blogs (because I think that was our first conversation, lol).

Great list, thanks for sharing. It's got me thinking and I'm totally doing this tomorrow.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Rachel - Wow! 8 addresses?!

Colby - Crazy business, eh? I did an event with the Kool-Aid man!

Melanie - *smacks head* What was I thinking? ;)

Rachel Burton said...

Yup - I'm a moving pro!