Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sally Says...

So I have another blog. Did you know? Sally and Me started as a chronicle of my adventures with Sally, my AlphaSmart 3000 (word processor). Really, we did well together, blogging and making notes of our journeys through the written land, but then things got busy, Sally got sidetracked, and I had to opt out of further posts. [I can't bear to delete it completely; for now, I leave it dangling in cyberspace.]

In the meantime...

Sally found an affinity for baking and cooking and the like, and last month she left home for enrollment at The Culinary Institute of America. By all reports (including her mentor, Sony Vaio) she's flourishing in her new surroundings and, since I promised our readers I'd update occasionally, I thought I'd share her most recent letter. Here's what Sally had to say:

dear janna,

i'm having such a good time here at cia. every day we learn some new cooking technique, practice using a kitchen gadget, or create an amazing dessert (i've mastered a chocolate ganosh torte with your name on it). it's fabulous! seriously, i think i've found my calling. (now, janna, don't let that news upset you. i know you think i was meant to be a writer, like you, but i've found my niche. it's my destiny. this is who i'm supposed to be.)

just yesterday we studied shrimp. did you know there are countless ways to prepare shrimp? you can boil it, broil it, saute it, fry it, filet it, grill it, bake it, toss it... bubba was right! it's one of my new favorite things, especially when served with a sweet jalapeno-pepper and pineapple tartar sauce. simply to die for, janna. to.die.for.

anyway, that's all the time i have right now. my kitchen buddy (kind of like a lab partner) and i have to perfect our mesquite barbecue sauce by tomorrow, or we lose certain kitchen privileges.

give my love to the fam. and can you tell paco [misterwrites' laptop] i said what's up?

love,
sally

So, as you can see, Sally's enjoying herself. Makes me proud. *sniff*

I plan to pen a response letter over the weekend. But I'm unsure about one thing... Do I tell her misterwrites sold Paco?

14 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

Does that mean you are cooking too!! Glad to see you back around and getting some motivation! Enjoy your weekend:)

Angie Ledbetter said...

LOL, that was great. You have a gift for narration from many POVs.

PS Better go ahead and tell her about Paco. Maybe it'll free her up to look around at the CAI. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hehehehe... glad to know Sally is doing well. Maybe she can have a bake off with you when she gets back ;)

**Sorry, I removed the earlier comment. I uhm, really misspelled my post!**

Joanne said...

No, tell her Paco misses her and maybe she'll come back and cook you some meals! A part time chef in the house, wouldn't that be nice?

Jen said...

LOL! That was great, Janna. It also made me hungry. Really, really hungry. :)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

LOL, Bubba. :) Tell Sally hello from all of us and I'd like to be there for the shrimp when she returns!

(PS- I'm doing the meme today)

Joshua said...

lol, thas awesome

Anonymous said...

Hey, are you becoming a chef? I didn't realize you had another blog...takes me a while to catch on. :)

Janna Leadbetter said...

Terri - Nope. I have not overt joy in the kitchen. I get creative with dinners every so often, but this is all Sally. ;)

Angie - Thank you so much! And you're right, she may find a winner at the institute.

cel - Oh, she'd win, hands down. *snicker*

Joanne - Ooh! I love the way you think!

Jen - Thanks! ...Makes a girl really want shrimp, eh?

Melanie - Deal!

Josh - No, YOU'RE awesome. :)

Fringegirl - Only through Sally. :)
I guess I can't technically claim the other blog since I'm not adding any new stuff.

colbymarshall said...

Yes, break the news. But do it gently, lol

Rachel Burton said...

I love when inanimate objects write! And this is my first intro to Sally... who did she go to culinary school with? And Paco??

Melissa Amateis said...

Too cute!

I tried using an AlphaSmart, but just couldn't handle the small screen. Drove me nuts.

Anonymous said...

I say let Sally down easy. All laptops need to move on after some time.