Saturday, February 16, 2008

Progress... In Little Steps

It occurred to me this morning, as I lay in bed trying to catch a few extra winks before jumping into my day, that a few months ago I'd set the goal to finish my WIP by Valentine's Day. Whoops. It's still not finished, but I have, at least, made decent progress.

Last week I wrote the last chapter, which I'm superbly happy with. I also wrote out "what has to happen" to reach that end, and I think the sub-plots are coming together nicely. The last few days have been spent adding to word count. And I'm learning I don't have to write the story in order. Before, I'd have never been comfortable jumping around, but somehow it appeals to me now. Because if I get the main ideas written out, I can go back and fill the spaces. There's something comforting about that.

So it seems, whereas last month my energies went to freelancing and the WIP didn't see the light of day, February has meant work on the ms and my freelancing has fallen behind. But I'm okay with this. Nothing says I have to hit it all hard, every week. I can set my pace, in whichever area, and make progress where my inspiration and work take me. Right? Will this back-and-forth between projects always be the case with me? Is this common? I guess it doesn't matter, as long as it works for me and I'm proceeding with something.

My last two goals for completion of the WIP (Christmas, then mid-Feb) haven't been met, so I hesitate to set another. BUT, I think I'd rather lay something out there to shoot for than to aim wildly at nothing. So... I'd like to think I can finish the first draft of Bliss Lake by the end of March. Let's see where that takes me.

Good luck with all your writing endeavors!

3 comments:

Rebecca Laffar-Smith said...

I've found that I focus in one area but not both. February I'm not focusing on my writing at all and am instead determined to pull the home front into a semblance of order but January had a firm focus on business for the benefit of business. In March I will again push forth with business.

With the focus on business, however, creative endeavors that are for my personal enjoyment or my fiction writing falls to the wayside. Poetry and my current novel haven't seen the light of day in months. There is nothing wrong with this. I feel it is important to commit all of myself to freelancing at the moment. It won't always be the case.

I think you're doing a fantastic job with your novel. If you continue to push through February and March you can get it done. Keep the goal in the forefront and strive towards it. I recommend posting it in an obvious place, somewhere you will see the goal frequently. It also helps to write down and evaluate WHY that specific goal and deadline is important to you. What it means to you to complete your novel and why it is something you really want to do NOW.

With a clear focus and constant visual reminders of your goal you'll have a stronger committment to completion.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Wow, Rebecca, I'm stunned by your outstanding words. Thanks so much for the support. It really means a lot to me. :)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Good luck Janna!