Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Day Will Come

As my oldest hollers off-key, sounding every bit the banshee, and the youngest bounces around in circles, having opted not to settle down for nap today, I decide it's time. Since my warnings to play quietly have gone unheeded and my migraine clenches just a bit tighter, I know I've no other option: I shall run away to some undiscovered peaceful place and leave them in charge. I'm packin' my bags.

Yeah. Right.

But it's moments like these, when I have lots of writing and projects to dive into, housework waiting to be done, and I've the desire to close my eyes for even the shortest of minutes - but I just can't get to any of it, thanks to the kidlets - that I eagerly look forward to the day they'll both be in school. When my mornings and afternoons will be quiet, with no interruptions. I'll be able to come and go as I please, without wails of "Mommy, I need you!" or "Mom! Help!" Oh, that sounds so nice.

Oh, I do know this moment of frustration will pass. Somehow I'll find that balance and all things will get accomplished. And, of course, when it comes down to it, taking care of my girls - even on days like today - is my most important of jobs. Someday I'll look back and wish they were little again. I try to relish this time with them, taking it in as some of their best years. They do grow all too quickly.

But just for the day? Can I escape? Please?

2 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

This post reminds me of those old Calgon take me away comercials.

Janna Leadbetter said...

I hadn't thought about, but it does!

Thanks for stopping by. :D